Which test should I take?

IELTS Academic or General Training?

Learn about the different IELTS test types to achieve your work or study goals.

If you plan to study in higher education or seek professional registration, you can take an IELTS Academic test. Or if you want to study in secondary education, work or migrate to an English-speaking country, IELTS General Training test might be right for you.

Where you want to study, work or migrate to will affect which test you need to take.

Make sure you check with the relevant government or institution you are applying to, to confirm which test you need to take and what score they ask for, as government agencies, institutions and other recognising organisations set their own IELTS entry requirements.
Remember to check with the organisation you are applying to

The general rule is:

IELTS Academic
The Academic test is designed for those who want to study or train in a university that teaches in English at undergraduate or postgraduate level, or institutions of higher and further education. Many professions (e.g. medical, nursing, accounting, engineering) also require an Academic test result for registration purposes.
IELTS General Training
The General Training test is for those who are going to English-speaking countries to do secondary education, work experience or training programs. This version of the test may be a visa requirement if you are planning to migrate to English speaking countries including Australia, the UK, Canada and New Zealand.

Listening and Speaking are the same for both tests, but the subject matter of the Reading and Writing sections differ depending on which test is taken.